Anderby Drainage Museum
Anderby Drainage Museum is situated at the seaward side of the Anderby Drain at Gowts Bridge, Anderby Creek, Skegness, Lincolnshire, and is one of the original discharge points.
This diesel powered pumping station served the area well for nearly 50 years and was preserved by the Alford Drainage Board when the new electrical powered pumping station adjacent to it was opened in 1992.
Visitors to the museum will be able to see the diesel engines running as well as displays of old land drainage equipment and other bygones.
The museum will be open on the following dates.
There are currently no planned open days for this site
For further information please contact:
Mrs Carol Davies at Lindsey Marsh Drainage Board - 01507 328095
Gayton Engine Pumping Station
The Gayton Engine Preservation Society was established in 1992. The Society's objectives are to preserve and protect redundant structures and features connected with land drainage in East Lindsey for public interest. Charity Commission Ref. 516204.
The Pumping Station is situated in the parish of Gayton le Marsh on the south side of the Great Carlton to Theddlethorpe highway (O.S. grid reference 458 880). It is a delightful white painted small building with arched Victorian windows and cannot be passed unnoticed.
The Gayton Engine Pumping Station is of interest to many, architects, engineers, historians, and stands in the marsh as a monument to our forefathers who first wrestled with the flooding from the rivers and sea, embanking and erecting sluices to contain and direct the waters, and then lifting flood waters by wind driven and then stream driven pumps into the rivers. Such work enabled a living to be obtained from land which otherwise would be marsh and bog.
Admission is free, although contributions and donations are always welcome. There is free car parking and a picnic site.
History of the Station
The Gayton Engine Pumping Station was built and completed by H.M. Commissioners of Sewers in 1850, to pump water from Gayton fen and marsh into the Great River Eau. Previously it had been drained by gravity through a set of sluice gates, known as Gayton Engine.
The power for pumping was originally steam, but in 1945 a diesel engine was introduced, and this is what survives in working order.
In 1956, the whole of the system of drainage in Theddlethorpe and adjoining areas was re-arranged and a new electric pumping station, a mile to the north-east, was constructed immediately alongside the Great Eau. The Gayton Engine Pumping Station was kept in repair, on standby, until the efficiency of the new pumps was assessed.
In the 1960s, the Board considered it would no longer be needed and the outfall to the river was allowed to be filled and the Station abandoned.
In the early 1970s the Board resolved not the demolish the Station but to carry out the minimal amount of maintenance on the building to preserve the engine and pump, in anticipation that interest would ultimately be attracted and a Society would take over its refurbishment.
The present Gayton Engine Preservation Society was formed in 1992 to preserve the Station and open it to the public.
The present pumping equipment comprises: Petter "Atomic" 2-cylinder loop scavenge 2 stroke ex-marine diesel engine, built in 1933, powering a 27" Gwynnes Pump.
Recent repair and renovation works are thanks to:
For further information on Rural Development click here.
Opening times 2.00 p.m. – 4.00 p.m.
Sunday 12th May 2019
Sunday 16th June 2019
Sunday 21st July 2019 (Other engines also on display)
Sunday 18th August 2019
Saturday 14th and Sunday 15th September 2019 (Heritage Weekend)
Alternative dates can be arranged for group bookings.
For further details please contact:
Mr A. Garlant on 01507 603017 or
Lindsey Marsh Drainage Board on 01507 328095
We rely on volunteers to keep the station open to the public and would like to increase the number of open days each year. To do this additional volunteers are required, for example to assist with:
- maintenance of the building and grounds
- maintenance of the pumps
- upkeep of the displays and exhibits
- manning the station on open days
- helping with refreshments
- advertising of open days
- recruitment of new volunteers
If you are interested and able to help in any way please contact either Mr A. Garlant on 01507 603017 or Lindsey Marsh Drainage Board on 01507 328095.
Quinceys Pumping Station
Quinceys Pumping Station is situated at Thorpe Culvert some two miles from Wainfleet on the Steeping River.
The station was built in 1938 but was replaced with a new electric station by the former Skegness District Internal Drainage Board in the mid 1970s. The diesel engines were retained by the Board on standby but by the early 1990s the station was in need of considerable work with only one pump in working order.
Fortunately, a small but dedicated group of volunteers offered to renovate the pumps under the guidance of the late Mr Dennis Quincey. This restoration began in 1994 and continues with the volunteers meeting on the fourth Sunday of every month to undertake maintenance of the engines and the station.
The station is still used as a backup by Lindsey Marsh Drainage Board and is run by the volunteers on these occasions.
The pumping station houses two Ruston and Hornsby 9xHRC twin cylinder horizontal diesel engines, each producing 132hp at 235rpm and each coupled directly to a Gwynnes 36" centrifugal pump. These pumps can move around 100 tons or 22,400 gallons of water per minute.
Following the death of Mr Dennis Quincey in 2002, the station was renamed Quinceys Pumping Station in his memory.
The station will be open between 10.00 a.m. and 4.00 p.m. on the following dates:
Sunday 28th April 2019
Sunday 22nd September 2019
Visitors are also welcome when the volunteers are undertaking maintenance but please telephone to confirm dates and times.
For further information please contact:
Andrew Quincey - 01205 870397
Frank Bateman - 01205 356208
Paul Gash - 01529 305121
Charlie Millard - 07747 890611
Lindsey Marsh Drainage Board - 01507 328095